Banana bread is the families favourite quick bread that's for sure, also popular is zucchini bread.
As you can see by the piece of paper it gets used quite often. I have had this recipe for many years. This time I decided to sub the 1 cup of vegetable oil I usually use with something a bit healthier. Applesauce is always a good substitute for oil in baking recipes. But since I had just picked up two tubs of greek yogurt I decided I was going to use that as my substitute. After looking at some other recipes where yogurt was used I came up with a ratio of oil/yogurt/buttermilk. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I now have tweaked this recipe enough that I can call it my own. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
(yields 2 loafs)
4 cups grated zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cups wheat germ (optional)
2tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1tsp ground ginger
1 cup chopped apricots (or raisins, prunes, cranberries)
1Tbsp Flax seeds (optional)
- Mix eggs, sugar, honey, canola oil, greek yogurt, buttermilk.
- Mix flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined
- Mix in the zucchini and chopped apricots
- Pour the batter in two greased and floured 8x4inch loaf pans, and sprinkle with flax seeds
- Bake in preheated 350F oven until toothpick pushed into the centre comes out clean, around 60-70minutes.