Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week 9: session 2

on the treadmill
5 minute warm up
Run for 7minutes and walk for 2minutes (repeat 6 times/54minutes)
5 minute cool down
6.5km in 64minutes

Had a fairly good run but towards my 4th repeat I was feeling the effects of the run, feeling drained and my legs were tired.  I know exactly why... I forgot to eat again before my run. Rushing home and getting dinner in the oven, it just completely slipped my mind. I had a pear at 2:30pm and then ran at 5:30pm, so not ideal. I really need to remember how important it is to fuel my body for running. I do see a difference from when I have a pre run snack about 1hr before to when I don't eat at all. 
I came up with a list of Pre running snack that I can have about 1hr before I go out on my run;

  • Banana with a tablespoon of any kind of nut butter
  • Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit
  • Cliff Bar, Luna Bar, or any other kind of energy/granola bar
  • about 1/4 cup nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc...) with dried fruit like cranberries or trail mix
  • a WW english muffin with about a tablespoon of nut butter and honey
I might set a reminder on my BlackBerry to eat about 1hr before I plan on running, at least until I get the hang of it and it becomes second nature.


After my run I had a nice refreshing Green Smoothie 
3 cups of Organic Spinach
1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk 
1 frozen Organic Banana 

1 BIG Strawberry 1T of Chia Seeds 
1T of Ground Flax Seeds 

YUM!! It was just what I needed after running, I felt 100 times better after.


What's your go to Pre Running snack?

2 comments:

ajh said...

I hardly ever eat before a run. It drives my daughter crazy but it works for me. If I am going 10+ I snack. Usually toast, something light.

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

About an hour before I run, I have a bowl of oatmeal with two teaspoons of peanut butter (one teaspoon with Dark Chococlate PB, and one teaspoon with White Chocolate PB). I have it almost every day and never get tired of it!